01 Jul Should I create a second Instagram account for my business?
“How do I create a second Instagram page for my side business or should I market my product through my personal account” When it comes to determining what platform to use: business vs. personal, there is no one-stop-shop answer.
Here are some questions that can help you figure this out.
Can your business exist without you?
Is the business or product that you are marketing based on you specifically or are a variety of people involved? Can your business be sold someday? If so, you may want to create business-only pages that the new owner can easily take over. If the business is you, selling a side product, and a majority of your customers will be friends, family, & neighbors – it could be beneficial to stick with the account that already has that following.
Are you marketing a lifestyle?
Is there a common theme that ties your lifestyle in with your business? Are you marketing a home-based business that allows you to be home with your children and allows you to play golf in the afternoon? If you are wanting your followers to buy into that lifestyle, then it could be appropriate to mix a personal and business account on Instagram and even on Facebook. A Snapchat account can even be very beneficial in lifestyle marketing. Are you a painter or a photographer? Your followers may love to see the behind the scenes daily happenings of the artists’ life via Instagram.
While I own multiple businesses, I will use the Jess Carrier Brand and Coffee Company as examples for you.
The Jess Carrier brand is one that incorporates everything that I am as a professional, as an artist, and as the services that I offer into one Creative brand that represents entrepreneurship, design, & coaching. Currently, this business could not exist without me. Here’s how I currently do social media for my brand.
- Inactive & private personal Facebook account
- Official Jess Carrier Facebook Business Page listed as “Public Figure”
- Blog posts shared via Facebook business page.
- Lifestyle marketing through a personal Instagram account – no business account on Instagram
- Fun, personal posts & lifestyle marketing via Instagram stories
- Motivational posts via Instagram
- Private Snapchat for fun posts between close friends & family
- Occasional Pinterest for sharing blog posts & inspiration
*Should I develop a program separate from my personal services, that I feel can stand alone: I will brand that program separately. Until then I operate Jess Carrier under a personal brand.
My Coffee Company started out as a local coffee shop that I, alone, worked at for some time, but still knew that one day I wanted the company to be able to stand on its own without my presence. We have since branded our own coffee and offer products for sale online. Here is our social plan for the Coffee Shop:
- Behind the scenes via Instagram (pretty drinks, food, fun customers, baristas working)
- Shop hours updates via Facebook & Instagram.
- Paid advertising campaigns via Facebook.
- Sponsored posts via Facebook (Posts that we want to reach further)
- New Drinks
- Announcements & Events
- Products in the online store
- New products via Instagram and Facebook
- No Snapchat, No Pinterest
- Google Business Page (Hour Updates & Shop Photos)
- Yelp for Business (Hour Updates & Shop Photos)
I hope this helps clear up your questions. Should you have any concerns, feel free to reach out. I will try to help you get going in a great direction!